Careers at Universal Stainless
Off Shift Supervisor
Location: Bridgeville, PA
Supervise the efforts of all Finishing department personnel during the off turn hours and weekends.
- Provide day-to-day supervision of hourly Finishing department employees to ensure operations are executed in a safe and efficient manner.
- Operate as the plant lead in coordinating the documentation, communication and immediate investigation of any accidents or injuries occurring during off turn shifts.
- Instruct and ensure that employees are practicing safe work habits by performing safety observations and documenting Injury Free Events.
- Carry over and communicate work assignments for hourly Finishing department employees from the area supervisor(s) to ensure adherence to plan.
- Enforce adherence to the Plant Rules of Conduct, including, but not limited to; personnel feedback in the form of verbal and written warnings, and recommendations to area supervisors and managers.
- Train workers to operate various Finishing department machinery and responsibilities
- Recommend improvements in production methods, equipment, quality and working environments.
- Analyze and resolve work problems quickly by assisting employees in solving work problems.
- Ensure operation and adherence to the collective bargaining agreement by completing Issues Reports with hourly personnel.
- Be able to successfully lead a 5S or other Continuous Improvement project from the define through control stages
- Issue purchase requisitions for production supplies and consumables.
- Coordinate unit maintenance with maintenance supervisor.
- Interpret Company policies, business processes and procedures, and direct employee accordingly.
- Maintain time and production records for off turn production personnel.
- Responsible for coordinating with the QA Department, the calibration and verification of all hand tools and inspection equipment on the finishing shop floor.
- Responsible for coordinating with Mobile Equipment Repair, the required maintenance of the mobile equipment fleet, including removal from service any equipment found in disrepair or under-utilized.
- Observe Finishing operations and inspect product and deviate for additional processing within the OFS system as required.
- Strong Interpersonal skills across multiple levels including hourly, peer to peer, and upper management.
- Superior organizational skills including effective utilization of Outlook (email)
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Office applications
- Problem-solving ability including 5-Why, Fishbone, DMAIC, PDCA and Lean Manufacturing
- Ability to quickly learn all facets of the plant operations and to understand how the role can contribute value to the overall organization
- Demonstrated desire for rapid advancement in roles and responsibility within the organization
- Supervisory experience in a union setting
- Experience in leading crews of 20+ personnel
- Experience in a heavy manufacturing environment, with machining operations strongly preferred
- Experience with MES or ERP systems such as Oracle or SAP is preferred
- Experience leading or championing Continuous Improvement projects is strongly preferred
- Four year degree in an engineering, material science, business administration or operations background preferred.
- Minimum requirement of a two year degree or applicable trade school certification
- Six-Sigma Yellow or Green belt training or certification strongly desired